- Most common among the oesophageal diverticula is Zenker’s diverticulum.
- Most common benign oesophageal tumour is leiomyoma or stromal tumour (GIST).
- Most common upper GI disorder of the Western world is gastro-oesophageal reflux disease.
- Most common histological type of carcinoma oesophagus in the world is squamous cell carcinoma.
- Most common histological type of carcinoma oesophagus among whites is adenocarcinoma.
- Most commonly adenocarcinoma affects lower oesophagus. Most common presenting feature of Barrett’s oesophagus is dysphagia.
- Most common site of gastrointestinal involvement in scleroderma is smooth muscle of oesophagus.
- Most common cause of oesophageal perforation is instrumentation.
- Most serious but rare type of perforation is Boerhaave syndrome-barotrauma, seen in gluttons.
© Manipal manual of surgery, fourth edition